- Care Skills 5N2770
- Care Support 5N0758
- Care of the Older Person 5N2706
- Palliative Care Support 5N3769
- Physiotherapy Assistant Practice 5N3770
- Rehabilitation Support 5N3775
- Communications 5N0690
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Infection Prevention and Control 5N3734
- Attendance for Interview
- Leaving Certificate standard or equivalent
- Mature Students: experience is considered in lieu of educational/formal qualifications
- Proficiency in English (Oral and Written)
- Awarness that aspects of the course are both physically and emotionally demanding
- Garda Vetting
This is a one year course from September to May. Work Experience is mandatory. This is an integral part of the learning journey and it allows students to merge classroom learning with practical application.
Students will undertake a block work placement of 4 weeks (min. 150 hours) in a hospital or care home setting. Garda Vetting is an integral part of the application procedure for this course. Hepatitus B and Flu Vaccinations (others may be required in individual settings) are required for work experience in a healthcare setting.
Applicants should be aware that healthcare environments used in work experience may insist that students are fully vaccinated for Covid 19.
The full QQI Level 5 award facilitates entry, on a competitive basis to a range of third level institutions nationwide.
- QQI Level 6 Advanced Social and Vocational Integration (6M2218) (CCOC) OR
- QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Inclusive Education and Training 6M2263.
In addition, mature applicants may apply for nursing courses including Mature Nursing Degree programmes in UCC such as General Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Midwifery and Intellectual Disability Nursing through the CAO’s Mature entry route. Other links from this award include Social Care, Physiology & Health Science, Community Development, Youth and Community Work, Psychology and Arts.
Further details are available from the relevant institutions.
This course enables students to work in a variety of healthcare settings such as hospitals, day care centres, home-help assistants etc.