The Art, Craft and Design course at Cork College of Commerce, West Cork Campus is now a long established Arts Foundation course in West Cork. We have very strong links with many Art Colleges in Ireland and in the UK, particularly with the Crawford College in Cork and the DIT course in Sherkin Island, where many of our students have gone on to specialise in their chosen field. Our students are given the opportunity to improve their skills and to widen their understanding and appreciation of art through professional guidance. We encourage our students to explore a variety of media and skills and to develop a vocabulary for evaluating their own work and the work of others. At the completion of this course you will have an extensive and varied portfolio of work. We welcome people with some background in the Art and Crafts as well as those who wish to learn new skills and meet stimulating challenges.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Art, Craft and Design 5M1984
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
€400 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from QQI examination fee of €50) Note: Fees for 2023/2024 are being updated.
- Drawing 5N1862 From observational drawing, including a block of life drawing to abstraction, students can explore a variety of tools and media and learn how to find a personal theme for their work.
- Painting 5N1302 Learning appropriate colour mixing techniques and a range of approaches, students can explore and expand their creativity in this medium.
- Sculpture 5N1918 Exploring a range of materials and techniques, students produce three-dimensional work to both given and personal themes.
- Design Skills 5N0784 The design component has been devised to furnish the student with a range of design techniques. It enables to the students to discover new ways of exploring creative thinking and develop original ideas.
- Digital Editing 5N1438 This module equips the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work independently and under supervision to develop an awareness of the role of the editor within film and television production and develop creative editing skills.
- Print Making 5N1373 This module allows the student to explore a broad range of both traditional and non traditional print making techniques. Students will be encouraged to express individual creativity and visual awareness and to integrate into their own craft practise
- Work Experience 5N1356 Students gain experience in presenting, documenting and exhibiting their own work. They also gain knowledge concerning arts organisations and regularly visit college and studios.
- Communications 5N0690 Improve your confidence and communications skills with report writing, CV preparation, listening and oral skills.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed.CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English
All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
Fully equipped practical rooms
Professional guest lecturers
- Special arrangements in place with MTU (CCPS), MTU (Kerry) and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any third level college can be attained by successful completion of this course.
- MTU (Cork): Contemporary Applied Art MT820, Fine Art MT821, Visual Communications MT823;
SETU (WATERFORD): BA Design (Visual Communication) WD137, BA Visual Art WD152
Students can build an extensive portfolio for the purpose of entry to national and international degree level Art & Design Colleges.
“I completed the QQI Level 5 course in Art, Craft & Design in June 2016. This course offers a wide range of diverse modules from drawing and painting to textiles and furniture making. I have always had an interest in painting and this course allowed me to play and experiment in many different areas of Art, Craft and Design. It gave me confidence in myself and in the work that I created. I found the tutors to be incredibly helpful and encouraging in their teaching methods. I would highly recommend this course, as it works well for people who have an interest in creating, but have never tried. It is also ideal for those who have some knowledge and want to develop their skills further. I myself have learned a lot from this course and had exceptional fun while doing it.”
“I completed the Art Craft and Design course at West Cork Campus in 2006. The Art Craft and Design course offered a broad selection of subjects from a versatile group of teachers. This allowed me the opportunity to experiment and find and develop my own strengths both artistically and personally. The staff were always encouraging and this helped to build my confidence. The fact all the staff were active artists as well as teachers meant they could offer advice and guidance to someone seeking a career in the art world as well as giving expert art education. I would strongly recommend anyone interested in a future in Art to attend this course as Art College can be an overwhelming environment and this course enables you to learn many skills and tools needed to cope within such an environment.”